Becoming a Precinct Committeeman: What’s in it for me?
Maybe you have thought of being a precinct committeeman, but need that extra incentive to make the commitment. Maybe you want to get involved in politics, but since PCs are volunteers and not paid, why would you want to be one? Everyone wants to know, “What’s in it for me?”
First, a Precinct Committeeman (the legal term for the office) is the main liaison and relationship builder between the party and the voters in that precinct, and thus one of the most vital links in the voting chain. As a precinct committeeman, you represent the party’s voters at the county central committee convention to elect the county central chairman and its officers. This is an important responsibility, because the performance and credibility of the party leadership has a huge impact on whether Democrats get elected and respected.
Being a precinct committeeman is a great way to build relationships with people in your community, while gaining experience representing their concerns to those who can make a difference. As a precinct committeeman, you are a vital link in getting Democrats elected to public office. You will…
- Become a voter registrar and register all qualified constituents
- Appoint and fill vacancies of election judges for the precinct polling place
- Provide candidate and election information to the voters
- Circulate petitions for candidates prior to the primary election
Precinct committeemen are an integral part of making sure that voters get the correct information on issues and candidates, and counter misinformation or “alternative facts” that they might hear or read. As an elected PC who nominates judges in their precincts, you would help ensure that working in the polls and servicing our voters is a much smoother process. You would also be helping to ensure that our elections are fair.
So want to be a precinct committeeman, but want to know what’s in it for you?
- Responsibility with the Democratic Party
- A voice for the party’s voters to candidates and party leaders
- Relationships built within your community
- Experience representing voters concerns to those who can make a difference
- A feeling that only giving back to the community can give to you
The Democratic Party of DuPage County is actively recruiting for precinct committeemen. If you want to know more, we are offering a series of FREE classes three different times in August. To find out dates and times, please visit www.facebook.com/pg/DemsInDuPage/events.